New Mexico Beach Volleyball Videos

Aspen Battle, 2007 Part I Part II

Thursday, March 16, 2006

Back in the Sand

Allright, it's still winter, technically, but the month of March started off with some pretty nice and warm weather, so we were able to get out and play in the sand a couple of times. We hit the usual stomping ground of High Desert courts in Albuquerque. With a couple of our friends (Rob & Matt G.) and Loric's dad (who's been keeping in great shape) we had two weekends of playing. Things always wind up a little rough at the beginning, but I'm kind of happy with the level Loric and I are starting at. The ball control was pretty good, and Loric seems to be jumping even higher this year, which will amaze anyone who saw him play last year. I felt good on the ball control side, passing and setting were pretty smooth. Movement wasn't all that bad either. I had a hard time with timing and pulling myself out of the sand. I guess my legs were still feeling heavy from all the lifting in the winter. All in all, I think we're starting close to where we ended last season.
Since we last got out there a couple of weekends ago, I've been doing a lot more plyometric, cardio and quickness training. I've been able to get out in the sand here, by myself and with my friend Steph. Movement drills that simulate game situations, like blocking, approaches, dropping off the net, and sprints are an accelerated way to help get sand legs. I also have a rope I tie between the net poles, since there is no permanent net. Typically I set the rope a little above knee height and do bunny hops across, back and forth 4-6 times. Then I'll do one leg sticks, pushing off one leg over the rope and landing on the opposite leg, holding for a couple of seconds, then repeating. I'll finish the rope work with some quick bunny hops, lowering the rope down to about my shins. This works on quickness and explosiveness. The idea is to move like the ground is really hot, or lava or something and minimize contact time, emphasizing quickness over height. I'll also do "star sprints", 15 ft forward, backpeddal, 15 ft left, back to center, 15 ft back, sprint to center, 15 ft right, back to center, sprint forward. Gotta get those lungs going. I'll then end with some depth jumps in a deep spot in the sand. I've got a 13 lb weight belt I strap on, go into full squat, then try to get maximum height. 10 to 15 of those, 3 times and I'm good.

In the gym, I've been lightening the loads, doing more compound exercises, stability and core work. One of my 3 days includes plyo work, depth jumps and related drills. I think the quickness is coming back.

Even though it snowed last weekend, this weekend is supposed to be a little nicer, although it may be windy. We're planning on getting out there with a few guys, so I'll see if that training's going to pay off.

No comments: